How many times have you eaten a hot dog either without a bun or between a folded slice of sandwich bread? Maybe that did taste delicious, but there’s no comparing the bunless version to the flavor, taste, and deliciousness of a classic, bun-cradled hot dog. Grilled hot dogs deserve to be devoured with only the best hot dog buns. Period.
The bread should be pliable and soft. It’s supposed to absorb any toppings or sauces of your choice. After all, without these add-ons, you can’t possibly enjoy your hot dog. We get that!
So the next time you’re hosting a barbecue for your family and friends, why not be the best host by choosing one of these brands below...
Table of Contents
- Review of the Best Hot Dog Buns
- 1. Wonder Bread Classic Hot Dog Buns
- 2. Ball Park Hot Dog Buns
- 3. Happy Belly White Hotdog Buns
- 4. Nature’s Own Perfectly Crafted Brioche Style Hot Dog Buns
- 5. New England Split-Top Frankfurter Hot Dog Bun
- 6. Sola Golden Wheat Hot Dog Buns
- 7. Hostess Hot Dog Buns
- 8. Bakerly Brioche Hot Dog Buns
- 9. Schar Gluten Free Hot Dog Rolls
- 10. Udi’s Gluten Free Classic Hot Dog Buns
- Most Delicious Hot Dog Buns Recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
Review of the Best Hot Dog Buns
1. Wonder Bread Classic Hot Dog Buns
The taste of these classic hot dog buns is such that no matter how old you are or what your food preferences are, you’re sure to find them soft, fresh, and great tasting. They toast perfectly well. And you can slather them in sausage gravy too when you’re not in the mood for hot dogs.
The bread is cholesterol-free and low-fat, which means a healthier choice for certain. It’s an American classic that arrives fresh and pre-sliced at your door.
2. Ball Park Hot Dog Buns
If you simply can’t get enough of hot dogs, then you probably are no stranger to buns falling apart. In that case, do give these Ball Park Hot Dog Buns a try.
You can toast them lightly at 350 degrees Fahrenheit in your oven before putting in your delicious, grilled hot dog. And then finish that meal of yours without getting your hands dirty, literally. Nothing falls apart!
3. Happy Belly White Hotdog Buns
This is Amazon’s very own brand - Happy Belly. And it delivers the freshest white hot dog buns that are enticingly soft with zero artificial colors and flavors. No high fructose corn syrup either.
On top of that, the bread is cholesterol-free and low-fat. But then, needless to say, it contains soy and wheat. So if you’re allergic to either, you might as well stay away from these types of buns altogether.
4. Nature’s Own Perfectly Crafted Brioche Style Hot Dog Buns
Now, how about delicious buttery hot dog buns that also taste slightly sweet? These are sure to make your backyard grilling experiences more fun. The softness and deliciousness make them perfect for your most favorite hot dogs, be it meat-based or veggie.
Definitely an upgrade from average white buns! It’s certainly an upgrade when the buns are fluffy yet not doughy. And also not dense yet not thin at the same time.
5. New England Split-Top Frankfurter Hot Dog Bun
Hot dog lovers, please take note. Off-the-shelf hot dog buns may be widely available, but that doesn’t make them popular too. When it comes to taste and quality, these New England Frankfurter Hot Dog Buns are much, much better.
They’re perfectly sized - that is 6-8 inches long for accommodating your most favorite gourmet hot dogs. And the fact that the buns have a split-top and England-style sides means you can grill them.
6. Sola Golden Wheat Hot Dog Buns
First things first, these Golden Wheat Hot Dog Buns have a texture that’s different in comparison to standard hot dog buns. Some find it a little spongy. But then the bread is way, way better than eating a bunless hot dog.
Also, the buns are perfect for you if you’re struggling with reducing your daily carb intake. But these aren’t low-calorie too. So don’t go overboard by cooking four hot dogs in just a single sitting if weight loss is a goal.
7. Hostess Hot Dog Buns
Very soft and high-quality hot dog buns in the classic white bread flavor. These, in America, are a picnic essential. And they’re pre-sliced of course, which means ready to use.
You can turn them into morning toast or delicious sandwich if hot dog is not such a hit with your taste buds. The buns arrive at their freshest. And you know what, they remain soft even post-freezing.
8. Bakerly Brioche Hot Dog Buns
Ever tried a homemade French Brioche Bun recipe? If not, then don’t bother wasting time making the bread from scratch when you can just as easily buy the readymade version. It’s simply the best for your breakfast dogs, grills, barbecues, and more. Be it a pulled port hot dog, grilled cheese dogs, lobster roll, etc.
The bread is buttery, no doubt. And also deliciously soft with a subtle sweetness that everybody seems to enjoy. And even more so after knowing that there are no artificial flavors, colors, or high fructose corn syrup.
9. Schar Gluten Free Hot Dog Rolls
Breathe new life into your hot dog experience even if you’re gluten-intolerant with these gluten-free hot dog rolls by Schar. With not just hot dogs but also sandwich meat, chicken nuggets, or simply on the side with your dinner, this bread, in comparison to any other, tastes the best.
American classics like these are generously fluffy, thus perfect for barbecues. On top of that, the rolls are plenty nourished with minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
10. Udi’s Gluten Free Classic Hot Dog Buns
It doesn’t matter if you’re on a gluten-free diet by necessity or choice, keeping gluten away offers plenty of health benefits, that’s for sure. Such as keeping you more alive, alert, and energized. So now you know these classic hot dog buns by Udi’s are slightly more expensive in comparison to plain buns.
Open these gently, lightly toast, then stack quickly with your meat as well as condiments. Perfect for sandwiches, hot dogs, and more.
Most Delicious Hot Dog Buns Recipe
Ingredients You Need
Directions to Follow
- 1In the stand mixer’s mixing bowl, bring together sugar, salt, yeast, and flour.
- 2In another separate bowl (small-sized), whisk milk, egg, and water.
- 3Now using the rack mixer’s paddle attachment and dough whisk, blend all dry ingredients. Then combine the mixture of water, egg, and milk. Blend again.
- 4The next step involves kneading the dough by switching to the rack mixer’s dough hook. Add the 1/4 cup of extra warm water if the consistency of the dough is very dry. The goal is to make it sticky and wet. Then knead the whole thing for 5 minutes or until you achieve a smooth texture.
- 5Add butter and let the mixture simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. At the end of which, the dough becomes smooth, sticky, and shiny.
- 6Using plastic wrap, cover the bowl and opt for refrigerator storage for around 8 hours, that’s overnight. You can keep it in your fridge for as long as 24 hours as well. But then if you want to bake the bread for the same day, then cover the bowl and allow the dough to just sit in a warm setting for an hour to make it rise and double up in size.
- 7Then flip the dough onto flour very lightly. You can also sprinkle some flour over the surface. This makes sure the dough doesn’t stick.
Cutting and Shaping Hot Dog Buns
- 1The dough, at this point, should be shaped into a rectangle with a diameter of 4 to 5 inches and a length of 16 inches. Now cut this up into 10 equal parts and lay them all out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Maintain a space of around 1.5 inches between two buns.
- 2Now it’s time to knead each part to form a smooth ball. Then roll out each portion. The width should be roughly 4 inches and the length 5 inches. Tuck and pinch the edges for sealing the dough tightly.
- 3And finally, place all the portions on the baking tray, still lined with parchment paper. The distance between buns here should be around 2 inches.
Baking Hot Dog Buns
- 1Preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before baking is very important.
- 2Coat the hot dog rolls using egg wash, which is just a lightly beaten egg. And then place them into the oven till the top turns golden brown. The time taken here is not more than 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3Allow the freshly baked hot dog buns to cool down a bit before stuffing your most favorite hot dog into it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the healthiest hot dog buns?
Relatively healthier hot dog buns are the ones without gluten. Such as those we’ve reviewed by brands like Schar and Udi’s. They may be gluten-free but you can never tell the difference because of the deliciously bakery-like flavor and pillow-soft texture.
Then there are Sola Golden Wheat Low-Carb Buns for hot dogs too, which can be perfect for those on a keto-friendly or weight loss diet. However, these don’t have fewer calories, so don’t be mistaken.
How to steam hot dog buns?
With a Chinese bamboo steamer or double boiler, place the buns inside with a little bit of water boiling at the bottom for around 20 seconds.
How about without a steamer? Sprinkle the buns with some water and then wrap using aluminum foil. Now place them inside your oven for about 10 minutes. In the case of a microwave, sprinkle water on paper or towel first and then wrap this around the buns. And then cook on a high setting for 1 minute approximately.
How to slice hot dog buns when baking?
Once you’ve cut up the dough into fairly even-sized buns using your series saw or knife that’s shaped like the upside-down version of the letter T, it’s time to slice them down the middle. With the help of a sharp knife, make an incision down the center about an eighth of an inch deep. Don’t go too deep. And then add butter and bake.
It’s fascinating how much one can talk about hot dog buns, right? But then if you’re a foodie like us, then it’s only normal, isn’t it?
Hot dogs are a must when you’re inviting some loved ones over around the weekend time. And no party is complete without the freshest, softest bread. Be it for your most favorite grilled hot dog recipes or sandwiches. And if it’s a split-top bun, then also for crab and lobster rolls.